Basics - Sailing Downwind

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
12 years 3 months ago #1759 by markbt
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about sailing downwind and I wondered if you all might be able to help me with them please?
1) What's the right stance and position?
2) If it's windy enough to be planing, do you run downwind in the straps? Should you aim to plane on a straight run?

Cheers,
Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #1763 by Denis
Replied by Denis on topic Re: Basics - Sailing Downwind
It really depends on the conditions and what board you are using. For instance on a waveboard straight dowind is scarey but with the narrow board you can stay in the straps and get your weight across. On a Formular boar you might use the chicken strap. On a longboard you would probably stands astride it on a full on run.

More
12 years 3 months ago #1764 by markbt
My board is an F2 Stoke 156, so not sure what type of board that counts as - maybe somewhere in between?

More
12 years 3 months ago #1765 by Denis
Replied by Denis on topic Re: Basics - Sailing Downwind
I would say just get out there and try. Get as much TOW as you can working on your downwind skills until you get it nailed. A big board like this is never going to be fun on a run.

What is it you are wanting to do? Just get back downwind after sailing an upwind spot or are you talking about racing?

More
12 years 3 months ago #1768 by markbt
I'm definitely not talking about racing at this stage! No, just sometimes I find it a bit of a pain getting back down to the beach after getting upwind. I get there, but it just feels like there ought to be a better way of doing it.

More
12 years 3 months ago #1770 by phill104
I used to struggle too, that was until I got into speed sailing. Suddenly you want to do the downwind runs. Just bear away, sit back and enjoy.

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds