Returning after a long time off the water

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
16 years 6 months ago #1019 by jase_mk
Hi all.

I used to windsurf a lot over at Willen (Milton Keynes) all through the early and mid nineties but haven't been out for ages - last time was probably about seven years ago.

I'm thinking of coming over to Brogborough and having a crack at getting back out on the water again, but a bit nervous...

Couple of questions:
-can I just turn up and pay for a day's sailing?
-do I need to have 3rd party insurance with RYA or similar?
-do I need a bouyancy aid? (don't have one)
-my wetsuit just about fits me but I've lost my boots and my harness has fallen to bits - can I purchase/hire/borrow these at the lakeside shop?
-Any wind directions particulalry better than others?

My kit's pretty embarrasingly old. A very tatty looking Mistral Shredder (295 or similar) and an old Gaastra Racefoil Pro 6.5m. If I get back into it, I feel a few purchases coming on! The new kit around now looks wildly diff to what I'm used to. What sort of thing would you be looking at for a heavy footed (15.5 stone) inland sailor, early plaining etc?

Just need to get a roofrack for the GF's car and then I'm good to go I reckon...

Hello, by the way! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1020 by markc
Hi
To answer a few of your questions
Day tickets are available - membership is cheaper
Third party insurance is needed- RYA or Tony ( Lake manager) can sell you this .
Bouyancy aids not required
Boots and harnesses are for sale in the shop ( there are some you could borrow)
SW wind best direction best as this tends to get accelerated across the lake. Easterley cause a large wind shadow in the launch area.Northerlies usually very gusty.

There is lots of Starboard demo kit available at the lake for you to try before you buy.

Doesn`t look like we will get any wind this weekend but you could always come over and have a look at the new kit and have a chat
Always people around even if there`s no wind

Looking forward to seeing you
Mark

More
16 years 6 months ago #1021 by jase_mk
Thanks for the info, very helpful! Might pop over at the weekend if I get a chance and say hi/have a look around 8)

More
16 years 6 months ago #1022 by jase_mk
Popped up yesterday for a look around and a chat. I think I spoke to whoever was in charge (Tony?). Anyway, looks good - going to try and get a roofrack this week for my partnerss car and then keep an eye out for a windy weekend...

Nervous!!

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #1023 by admin
Excellent stuff. It was probably Tony you met (aka The Guru). When Tony is not there some of the other members unlock so you might have met Ron or John.

There is always the option to store your kit at the lake to save the need for a roof rack. I'm not sure how much it costs though.

• Tim
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #1024 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic A month
£8 / month for a horizontal rack. £9 for a vertical one. Ask Mr Guru. Shorties like me need the vertical, I needed a chair to stnad on for a year as I got lumbered with the top shelf .... still it was a good shoulder workout for a while. :idea:

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds