Is a Kona 10'5 the answer?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
14 years 2 months ago #1475 by hamptonw
With just a few days to go till I'm officially on my (baby enforced) windsurfing lay-off, I'm contemplating the best way to maximise my time on the water when I get back on the horse in three months time (although, TBH I've been out of the saddle for the past 2 months already really due to the crappy conditions).

It looks like a lot of my windsurfing over the spring and summer will be dawnies at Camber (to get home in time for fatherly duties), but with dawn being a time of day when there is often a lot less wind around, I reckon I'm going to be horribly frustrated bogging around on a short board in sub planing conditions. So, I'm wondering whether the answer might be to get a Kona 10'5 and enjoy light wind wave sailing or just cruising around comfortably in sub-planing conditions. Whilst I already have a vintage long board, I'm thinking that the Kona may be more exciting due to it's wave riding capability.

So, some questions...

will it really extend my windsurfing range significantly and is it worth all the cash when I already have an old longboard?

Would the mini tanker be a better option for light wind south coast mush?

Will my technique go backwards by sailing an "easy" board with a 145L volume?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #1476 by Southern Surf
Been thinking the same thing, though I was more interested in a SUP like the *boards Extreme 9'8... that way if the wind doesn't blow, you can go for a surf.

Hey, it's really nice in here... I feel like I know everyone already!!! :-)

More
14 years 2 months ago #1477 by hamptonw
I can't get excited about paddling a SUP really, and I think that for light wind sailing, a SUP with a sail is probably less fun than the Kona. Worth thinking about though. Maybe I need to actually try SUP before I write the idea off!! :laugh:

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #1481 by Southern Surf
I think Krafy got rid of a Kona 10'5 a while ago, may be worth asking him!

I was recently given a Starboard Carve 145 for my wife to carry on learning on, thinking of getting a 7.5 rig and using it for light wind blasting... I can go surfing if the waves appear.

Hey, it's really nice in here... I feel like I know everyone already!!! :-)
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Southern Surf.

More
14 years 2 months ago #1515 by grawp
Replied by grawp on topic Re:Is a Kona 10'5 the answer?
I don't think any tow ever causes regression.

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds