Thursday night racing

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
  • Phill
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #244 by Phill
Thursday night racing was created by Phill
Here is what has been said so far. In the order I dragged them from my inbox...

From Tony,

Hi Everyone

We need to decide what sort of format Thursday racing will take this year

At the end of last season we held an impromptu meeting with those of us that were there. After considerable debate it was decide to up the sail size to a max of 9.5

Since then there have been murmurings that this makes it cheque book sailing etc

So listed below are a few proposals. If you could look at them and decide which you favour (or if you have another idea)

I will collate the results and make a decision on that basis (I think it’s called democracy!)

1 Max sail size 9.5, pumping allowed

2. Max 8.5 (as last year) Pumping allowed

3 Max 9.5 for heavy weights, 8.5 for lightweights. No pumping

4. Max 9.5 for heavy weights, 8.5 for lightweights. Pumping allowed

5. We did discuss the possibility of some sort of pursuit racing based on results. (I feel this might be difficult to organise on a regular basis. But it might be a possibility occasionally)

6 Any other suggestions?

I’m sure you will all have views on this (keep it clean)

I have just emailed those that raced last year and a couple who said they would be interested

Tony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• John Andel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #245 by John Andel
Replied by John Andel on topic Re: Thursday night racing
My personal preference would be for max 9.5 - no pumping allowed. This is based on some very carefully thought out principles. Namely I can’t pump and I have a 9.4 sail. I would be happy with a compromise, I am allowed a 9.5 and don’t pump, others can go up to 8.5 and pump. Having now established that I am definitely just above 75 kilos I would also be happy with a weight differentiation. Speaking totally disinterestedly of course.

Basically folks, I don’t really care what we go for. I would prefer the larger sail so we can get a bit more planning time, but it is all about having a bit of fun. I don’t really understand the principles of pursuit racing but that sounds an interesting option. Do the men pursue the women or vice versa?

A serious reply – order of preference would be 1,3,4,2 with an occasional bit of number 5. How are going to sort out the voting Tony? And when you do, would you be prepared to act as a consultant advising the Palestinian Authority? Whatever we go for, roll on Thursday nights.

John Andel

• Tim Davies
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #246 by Tim Davies
Replied by Tim Davies on topic Re: Thursday night racing
My idea was for pursuits with 2 or 3 different groups (A /B / C), not indiviual starts.

Group A Scratch Group
Group B 1 minute head start
Group C 4 minutes head start.

For example, to keep it simple.

Yes we would need a claxon-sounder or we trust the groups to send themselves off, sending off those 3 groups. But. tThe best way (I've seen it before in other sports) nominate one scr sailor to send off the groups, then finally his own. Then at the finish you don't need a timekeeper, as the timing is set at the start, not the end. The idea is to see everyone finishing simultaneously.... which would be hilarous and very competitive in a fun way

I can organise it if you like...

Regards, Tim

• Tim Davies
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #247 by Tim Davies
Replied by Tim Davies on topic Re: Thursday night racing
Tony,

I appreciate the e-postal voting system. The swing-o-meter of sail size since that evening where it all got a bit lippy seems to have swung originally to 9.5, then to 8.5, and now having come back from France yesterday I read the emails and my "exit-poll" clearly indicates that 9.4/5 is probably going to win.

My favour is my bias. I couldn't win anything last year with my 8.5, having won a few the previous season. How can I put myself on a par, (other than the obvious - more practice)? I'll take YOUR advice Tony. Last year the best had 8.5/7s and I'm pumping flat our with my heat-rate up in th 160s on my 8.5 I just couldn't get there.... A few cams might make a bit of difference...

I'd go for 2.

If you select 3 or 4 Dave will just stretch away from me even more in sub-planing, as weight makes very little difference on the >200l boards, it's skill and sail size isn't it.

I like 5. I suggested what I called handicap racing ages ago in the summer - you called it pursuit racing. I think it would emphasise the "have fun" element and "break up" the calender. You could have a half SCRATCH events and half PURSUIT. Award points as you currently do today, and add a few prizes to get the younger members interested - (where are they?). Like a novice prize (1st year competitor best result), a best PURSUIT, best on SCR, best POINTS.... Doing this would make outright winning less important, which was the problem last year, and give true competition in other areas of the "fleet". That would make it more fun for sure. And more to talk about too. Obviously it'd need a bit more planning, but it should be pre-set in the calender as Scr / Pursuit, not decided on the day, as some people might prefer the pursuits only....

Regards,
Tim

• Dave Skye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #248 by Dave Skye
Replied by Dave Skye on topic Re: Thursday night racing
Hi Tony,

I've read the comments so far, and the one thing in common is that we all want the Thursday nights to continue - we all enjoy them.

I would be in favour of 9.5 sail maximum. simply to maximise the chance of racing on low wind days.

On the subject of pumping, I'm easy. Though it is difficult to police, as Dave points out, and it would severely limit "pumping on to the plane" on the slalom days. So how about a compromise on that. Allow pumping on slalom days, and on non-planing days allow a couple of pumps only at the marks to assist the gybe and perhaps to get moving again. I realise that this will jeopodise my chances on the light wind wind days - but I can see the point.

I don't like the idea of weight discrimination - it will lead to the eating of too many pies and lead to a health and safety issue!

With regard to other systems of racing - ie handicaps, I think it would be complicated to apply. How are the handicaps worked out? Is it on last years summary results, which could be incorrect for good but infrequent sailors, or perhaps on the previous week's results - which, of course, would be difficult to apply when different people turn up. Bearing in mind what Chris said - the best sailors will win. So be it.

When you take part in a race of any sort, it is for the fun of doing it, the motivation to do better, and the odd chance that you might win - but moreover the chance to beat the person who beat you last time. It is your own private race. My aim is to beat you, Tony, on a slalom race (not much chance, I think!!)!

So, I would go for number 1, and leave the pumping issue to a majority descision, but otherwise stick to the same format. (PS Can I use my Lightning?!!

Cheers,

Dave

• David Lewis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #249 by David Lewis
Replied by David Lewis on topic Re: Thursday night racing
Thanks Tony

I would be happy with the following in order of preference:

As a matter of interest, how would you propose to "Police" pumping if it were not allowed? And what constitutes pumping? Would we have a "Protest Committee" to deal with challenges? All sounds a bit "Serious" to me.

On the point you made about "cheque book racing", does that mean that if we don't go for 9.5s for that reason then new 8.5s and new boards will be outlawed?

David

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds