Thursday night racing

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
  • Mike George
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #250 by Mike George
Replied by Mike George on topic Re: Thursday night racing
I’d happy agree to a differentiator between heavyweights and lightweights (9.5m vs 8.5m). Actually, even if lightweights were allowed a 9.5m I would choose not to get one due to requirement for an extra boom and mast. By the way, I am 74kg so where does heavyweight begin… 85kg perhaps (13st 5lb)?

I’ll abstain from the pumping vote (for course racing at least). I will happily race under either rule.

I think that when it comes to slalom though, we all want to go as fast as possible and get our adrenalin fix. I’ll be on a smaller board next year (114L, compared to the 140L of last year) so it is not going to plane nearly as early as anyone else, unless I actively pump it up onto the plane. I’ve gone for a smaller board because I think it will be more fun overall (and not just sit in the rack for Thursdays) but I do realise that in many races it might be a hindrance. However, I could do without it being compounded by a ban on pumping (oh… and dodgy ankle – sorry Dave, the excuse is already in use). :)

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mike Goerge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #251 by Mike Goerge
Replied by Mike Goerge on topic Re: Thursday night racing
I didn’t give a proper choice. Put me down for option 1 but non-pumping on course races (yes, I realise that non-pumping will not be in my favour but it should save me from being one of the food choices; ‘sausage, chicken, burger or a bit of Mike?’).

I suppose that a 9.5m limit is about due now (after all, 9.4m Lightnings are pretty prevalent at the lake now – not the case when the 8.5m limit was introduced). Don’t expect to see me buying one of those monsters though. ;)

Mike

• Mike Goerge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #252 by Mike Goerge
Replied by Mike Goerge on topic Re: Thursday night racing
The only problem with pursuits and handicaps is that it requires timekeepers and that in itself is a bit serious.

If it’s a pursuit then we all have different start times (how confusing would that be)? We’re bad enough when there is a 2 minute, 1 minute, go (or the occasional surprise 3 minute, 1 minute, go)!

For regular handicaps we would have to start together and a timekeeper would need to time the finishes (knowing when people finish normally seems hard enough, let alone timing it).

We could always have a monthly novelty race though… relays or the like (choose partners from a hat maybe).

Mike

• Phil Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #253 by Phil Young
Replied by Phil Young on topic Re: Thursday night racing
Hi everyone,

I would prefer to keep a 8.5m max. Lots of people in the club have 8.5's and if you want to encourage more people to race you don't want to put them off by introducing a bigger size which they probably haven't got.
I also agree with Phill and Dave in that pumping should be allowed in slalom but not course racing. This would make course racing more of a test of skill and tactics rather than just who is the fittest - it is supposed to be fun !!

I'm not convinced that going to 9.5's will give us more slalom racing - it seems that it's either windy enough or it isn't. 9.5's will only get you going earlier in windspeeds of 1-2 mph less than with 8.5's which is easily overcome with a few pumps anyway.

As others have said the same people will probably win anyway but at least it should be a bit closer in course racing without continuous pumping. And like Dave my sole aim is to beat Tony in slalom.....

Regards

Phil

• Sandra Hey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #254 by Sandra Hey
Replied by Sandra Hey on topic Re: Thursday night racing
Hi Folks!

Well, as I pointed out to Tony, I can't even drag an 8.5 out of the water now, never mind a 9.5 and I don't think either come with a cut out low enough to allow me to reach the boom even if I could, so it hardly matters to me what size sail you choose to spend your money on.
I do know that it is meant to be fun and a personal challenge to try to improve our own sailing, not an exercise in worrying about what everyone else is up to and what kit they've got. If it really was just about winning I would have dropped out last season! As it is I am still hanging in there and generally having an enjoyable time, even though I haven't got a snowball in hell's chance of winning.
Mind you, if you lot do not start getting over yourselves and chill out about it, I may decide it's not worth turning up next season.

It's FUN!! Why not just enjoy it?

Sandy.

• Sandra Hey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #255 by Sandra Hey
Replied by Sandra Hey on topic Re: Thursday night racing
Sorry, I know that last one sounded a bit harsh (it wasn't really meant to!) but I do get the distinct impression there is a risk of it all getting a bit too serious again! Well, you know what I mean, even if I am a bit pants at explaining it.

Looking forward to it though! (If my knee is up to it, which is probably what is making me so grouchy at the moment!!)

Sandy

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds