Dahab or not Dahab - that is the question

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
  • Tim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 3 days ago #424 by Tim
What to do.

Denise and I have not decided. I hear Clive has pulled out.

One thing I notice about windsurfers in general - and it's the "it wont happen to me attitude". (I wonder where that comes from?) The vote at Brog is almost unanimous" aint no Al Qaedas gonna stop my windsurfing!". Which is admirable....?

Dahab might feel safe, but you do notice armed gaurds everywhere around the hotel complexes and even the beach at night.

By the way the bomb was NOT in Dahab but Mazbat, the beach front shopping and boozing arcade 2 miles up the coast.

The Foreign Office have not warned people not to travel, but clearly they felt it appropriat to put out a statement saying be careful. Hmmm thats not a lot of use is it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 days ago #427 by jo edwards
There's no need to decide straight away when all this is so fresh in our minds.

The bombs of the past few years in Sharm, Nuweiba and Taba have made it very clear that this stretch of the Sinai coast is a target for terrorists, but then so is London and I don't let that stop me going into London.

Sharm was bombed in July last year, but a few months later we enjoyed a fabulous holiday in Dahab and gave the bombs very little thought while we were there. Maybe it will be the same this year in Dahab?

More
18 years 3 days ago #428 by cliveb
I don't believe for one second that I will get blown up if I go to Dahab. However, given the amount of fundamentalist terorism coming out of the region I have taken a personal decision not to spend another penny in countries that tolerate it despite knowing who is responsible.

Brazil, Cabo Verde, Carribean, Canaries.....all more that happy to let the infidels windsurf.

If anyone is interested a smaller alternative group trip it would good to hear your suggestions for locations?

Not political....just another angry tourist.

More
18 years 2 days ago #429 by alex
I think it is important to remember that tourism is very important to the Egyptian economy and that Egyptians should not be tarnished with a fundamentalist label too easily - they were one of the few Middle Eastern countries who sent troops to Iraq in support of western armies during the first Gulf War.

I for one will still go to Dahab - having spent a fair amount of time in a number of middle eastern countries, the majority of the people are friendly and do not associate themselves with terrorists that may or may not come from within their borders. It seems that in this day and age many people are unable to dis-associate the region from the word fundamentalist. Don't forget also, that Egypt has one of the largest Christian populations in the middle east.

Again - not political, but a tourist who will not let the local business suffer due to the actions of a few.

• Phill
  • Visitor
18 years 2 days ago #430 by Phill
Well written Alex & Jo. I really should add a clapping emoticon.

Glad you're both still going.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds