New to Brogborough - advice requested

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
17 years 9 months ago #551 by paul
I've just returned from abroad and live reasonably near Brogborough so it makes sense to apply for membership. (The welcome helped as well!).
I need to get some big kit as I only bought an 85 ltr board back. Can anyone help me decide what to get? I weigh about 85kg and want to maximise TOW during my time off work. If there's racing I'd like to join in. I've no experience of inland sailing.

I understand that raceboards have died so it looks like something above 140 ltrs.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Paul

Far too old for this game

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #552 by mike g
Hi Paul,

It's good to hear that you are keen to join Brog. The more the merrier!

Tony has quite a wide range of Starboard demo kit and would be more than happy to give advice on what board and rig might suit you. Depending on what you like to do on a board, blast, race, freestyle, etc (sadly, waves aren't an option at Brog... unless it is blowing >40 knots :wink: ) then it could be anything between 115 litres and 145 litres for regular sailing or if talking in widths (as Boards magazine would prefer), between 70cm and 80cm. That would suit you on 90% of the sailable days and on the windy days you might want something between that and the 85 litre board. On the other hand, you might like to try formula boards out which are both higher in volume and wider than what I have written above. You'd have to try one to find out if you like them.

The racing is on Thursday nights and is not intended to be serious but I think that everyone has something of a competive streak in them. Everyone seems to have someone that they want to beat on the water, even if they do not know who it will be until midway through the race!

The decision as to whether it should be course racing on the beginner boards (courtesy of Tony) or slalom on our own boards is normally made at about 6pm to 6.15pm and the start of the race is at 6.30pm. By about 7.30pm we are all changed again and it is time for the BBQ that always follows. Feel free to turn up whenever you feel like it! Sails are limited to 8.5m in size so that would be a sensible size to purchase with the board that you decide upon.

Mike

• Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #553 by
well writen mike. I was in the process of replying but unfortunatetely the power failed for nearley an hour.

Mike gives good advice Paul. Go to Brog and take a look at the conditions. Hire if you need. At the end of the day Tony will only sell you kit that you will need. It is bad business to sell inappropriate kis for him hence he will only sell you the right kit for you. You can always demo it first.

More
17 years 9 months ago #554 by paul
Thanks Mike and Guest. Looks good for a visit later today to sign up and look at some gear.

Paul

Far too old for this game

More
17 years 9 months ago #555 by mike g
Unfortunately, the wind isn't going to be very good today. It is going to be a light easterly and that means a big wind shadow on the shoreline. I've had some really good days in easterly winds (in the middle of the lake) but the wind does need to be a bit stronger than it will be today.

The prevailing wind for brog is SW and that works really well because it has a clean run of the lake. It also seems to funnel through the nearby hills and is therefore a bit stronger than the neighbouring area too.

At least the weather will be nice to drop by and check things out. The British summer has made a re-appearance lately!

Mike

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds