What can we do?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
17 years 6 months ago #682 by hugh jarmes
Replied by hugh jarmes on topic Re: What can we do?
Thanks Mike but I think I'll stick to Formula for the moment.

As you say, most of it is common sense and I do most of what you suggest but will have a go at those techniques I haven't tried yet.

It isn't launching I find a problem as I have to push the board out into deep water (because of the 70cm fin) and generally, but not lways, I uphaul.

The problem comes when returning to the shore and the size of my kit (listen to me boasting) is part of the problem. Hauling an 11.6 with a wide luff tube (hopefully not too full of water) and a 100cm wide board out when you are "a little tired", is quite an effort. However, at my size I should be able to cope. I believe the problem is much more to do with the concrete. It doesn't matter who you are, what size kit you've got or how fit and strong you might be, the nature of our sport means that when its windy, gusts will dash you kit on the ground. And if that ground is concrete it will ding your board or damage your sail. It may help matters if you can get a firm footing and this is my point.

I have been speaking (email and forum) with other windsurfers at other lakes; some of whom have experienced similar conditions in the past. What seems to be a solution implemented by them is the use of plastic/rubber non-slip matting - the type used in Gym changing rooms and showers (not everyone at the club will have seen this :wink: ) It is relatively inexpensive, mould and algae resistant and they have found it easy to fix down. It may be worth thinking about but on the other hand it may be that we should totally ignoring it along with the rest of the flat earth society :lol:

Old Tigers, sensing the end, are at their most fierce.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #686 by the guru
Replied by the guru on topic Re: What can we do?
How many years have I worked at this place?
Sometimes it seems an eternity and through all these years I get
"CAN'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE FORESHORE"
Put down a concrete slip way! Build a wall, make a beach, floating pontoon would be a good idea.
We've tried everything.
The problem is we live on a shore that delivers awsome winter gales that destroys all in its path, the only solution that works ( and believe me we have tried everything) is to dicipate the oncoming barrage of waves. Hence the rubber mating set into concrete, this works but does become very slippy. No amount of brushing makes the slightest difference.
You could throw twenty ton of sand into it and the first strong southwesterly would remove the lot. (Iknow we've tried) Its like throwing money to the wind. Every summer we do remove a lot of the bricks at the launching area, but the undertoe always reveals more.
The answer? There isn't one
If you will insist on sailing bare foot, then sooner or later you'll cut your foot, so either take that risk or wear some bloody shoes, don't moan about it
Even more relevent if you happen to own the QE 2 sporting a sail more at home as a marquee!
Sorry to be so negative but I've been there too long and have tried just about everything. anything that lies beneath the water becomes like a piece of soap, I don't think the ski matting would be any better
The Guru
:cry:

They call me Dell Boy! I know not why!

More
17 years 6 months ago #687 by badexcuseforawindsurfer
You know if you put the ski matting down the barefoot people will get bristles in their toes :P

More
17 years 6 months ago #688 by hugh jarmes
Replied by hugh jarmes on topic Re: What can we do?
I do apologize for raising the issue.

My only intent was to try and improve things. It is clear that this has not been appreciated by all.

It is also clear that some people have taken this the wrong way and have seen it as a criticism - it is not!

Obviously, I had not appreciated Brogborough's microclimate that makes it unique in the UK regarding weather conditions and ultimately the resultant affects on its foreshore. I am now persuaded that the other lakes who have addressed this issue must enjoy a different weather system.

I also now realize that, despite being an ex RYA Instructor, Trainer and Principal, I have very little experience in Windsurfing. Thank you for putting me in my place.

I must admit that I, and other members, did not predict such a negative response :wink: and I can sure you that "Dinosaurs" and "Heads in the Sand" (excuse the pun) were never mentioned when I said I was going to raise it.

As for the brave comment "the barefoot people" - well, all I can suggest is that you watch an episode (or two) of Lost. Perhaps then you can refer to us as "The Others". Although I would advise against it.

See you on the water!

Old Tigers, sensing the end, are at their most fierce.

• admin
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #689 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: What can we do?
I wonder if astroturf fixed to the snow tracks would help. I has to be more grippy and the modern stuff is designed to prevent algea growth. But I wear booties so it doesn't really affect me.

• Tim
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #690 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Tetanus
Something important you should all consider. Walking around bleeding everywhere matters not a jot (pain / worry what's that?), save for the infection you might get. I mean you are not going to bleed to death are you?
And one infection that is obvious and suprisingly on the increase, is tetanus. You need 4 in a lifetime (my Gp said), so do yourself a little favour and check you are OK. And if not get it sorted. And if you think pa, Brog is clean, there are birds flying in from the Shanks' dumps all around daily....

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds